|January 02, 2013 - January 16, 2013|
|Salary Range:||Grade 6 Pay starts at $11.70/hr|
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
To respond to fire alarms, medical emergencies, hazardous materials, urban rescue and other calls to protect life and property; to participate in fire prevention and training; and to maintain the fire station and firefighting equipment.
1. Respond to fire alarms with assigned company or crew; participates in fire suppression activities including but not limited to; lay and connect hose; maintain pumping apparatus; hold nozzles and direct water streams; raise and climb ladders; ventilate burning structures; enter buildings to evacuate occupants
2. Operate all types of fire apparatus and rescue equipment including portable fire extinguishers, pike poles, hand lines, smoke ejectors, salvage covers, forcible entry tools, aerial ladder equipment and emergency medical equipment.
3. Respond to emergency medical incidents such as auto accidents, gas system leaks and animal in distress; analyze patient needs and administer advance emergency medical until relieved by proper medical personnel; if a Firefighter / EMT, may direct the activities of staff when responding to medical emergencies.
4. Preserve evidence at fire scenes.
5. Participate in fire station housekeeping and regular floor watch details.
6. Perform search and rescue of individuals in hazardous environments including collapsed buildings, auto accidents, hazardous materials spills and confined spaces.
7. Attend special instructions in firefighting and emergency medical techniques, perform drills with other engine company staff, including volunteers; become familiar with city layout, establish response routes and hydrant system; prepare and maintain a variety of firefighting preplan drawings and schematics.
8. Provide public information on fire prevention, CPR and career opportunities.
9. Assist in the training of fire department personnel volunteer and paid, in all suppression activities, and in emergency medical techniques and medical field activities; maintain inventory of drugs and controlled substances.
10. Must follow all safety procedures outlined in local, state and federal fire codes and regulations.
11. Cleans and services fire and EMS apparatus and maintains in condition of readiness.
12. Maintains inventory of tools and equipment on fire and EMS apparatus.
13. Fills out necessary reports and keeps records, as required. Makes presentations to schools, clubs, scouting organizations, etc., as requested.
|Qualifications:||EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE|
Must be a high school graduate or equivalent. Successful completion of an accredited Fire Training Academy, or equivalent, at the Firefighter I level. College level course work in fire science, fire administration or a related field is desirable. Possession of an appropriate driverís license. Must meet current physical condition requirements on the date of appointment and maintain them thereafter as require by standard operating procedures. Must be EMT B certified.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Ability to work in an emergency firefighting environment, or in medical emergency situations, including vehicle accidents, swift water rescues, mountain rescues and other types of medical and rescue emergencies; work in intense life-threatening conditions; exposure to fire encompassed surroundings, smoke, bodily fluids, swift water, heights, noise, dangerous persons and animals, natural and man-made disaster, hazards of emergency driving, hazards associated with traffic control and working in and near moving traffic. Must have the ability to understand both written and oral instructions and be able to communicate well both orally and in writing. Must be able to maintain a good working relationship with fellow employees and the public.
Essential and marginal functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for running, walking, crawling, climbing, stooping and heavy lifting (up to 200lbs) while wearing heavy protective equipment; and working in inclement weather conditions.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.